The Benefits Of Charcoal Water Filters
What is Activated Charcoal?
Activated charcoal consists of a substance such as coal, wood, bamboo or coconut shell. This has been burned without any access to oxygen to create char and once this has happened then it's heated to a high temperature and exposed to certain gases. This process makes the substance porous and this is then what we refer to as 'activated'.
Activated charcoal is nontoxic, tasteless and odorless. The activated charcoal acts as a powerful magnet and helps to absorb any toxic molecules that it comes into contact with.
Our Bamboo Charcoal Water Filters & Black + Blum Charcoal Water Filters help to slowly filter out impurities within the water such as chlorine and helps to soften and improve the taste of tap water. The charcoal water filter needs to be replaced approximately every 2 months and is fully biodegradable.
The Bamboo charcoal filters can be reused in many useful ways around the house, for example it can be placed in the fridge to help keep food fresh or placed in a kitchen or bathroom that is prone to mould to help remove moisture. You can even break down into plants or soil to control bacteria and improve drainage.
Instructions For Using our Bamboo Charcoal Filter
Use approx: 1 litre jug = 3 - 4 pieces; 2 litre jug = 6 - 8 pieces
1. Wash in running water to remove powder (do not use detergent).
2. Boil for 10 mins in a pan of water to sterilise & allow to cool and dry.
3. Place in a jug and fill with tap water (charcoal may float when new but it will tend to sink after a week or so of use).
4. Leave for 8 hours or more for best results. You can leave it in the fridge to chill if you like. It's then ready to drink.
5. Re-sterilise once a week by repeating step 2.
6. Replace with new charcoal after 2 months approx.