Gourmet Grain & Rice Pilaf with Tandoori Cauliflower Steaks
2 | people
Easy | 45 minutes
The perfect vegan dinner - Gourmet Grain & Rice Pilaf With Tandoori Cauliflower Steaks! These cauliflower steaks have been smothered in a homemade Tandoori marinade and are served with a nutty grain rice pilaf. The pilaf is bursting with flavour from the spiced veggies, fresh coriander and toasted cashew nuts and the smokey tender steaks are a perfect accompaniment.
🌱 = Get It From The Source
For the tandoori cauliflower steaks
- 1 small head of cauliflower (600g approx.)
- 1 large garlic clove, very finely chopped
- 10g fresh ginger, very finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp. tomato paste
- ½ tsp. garam masala 🌱
- 50g coconut yoghurt
- 1 tsp. maple syrup 🌱
- ¼ tsp. sea salt 🌱
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil 🌱
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika 🌱
For the gourmet grain & rice pilaf
- 100g / ½ cup gourmet grain & rice mix 🌱
- 200ml water
- 2 tsp. coconut oil 🌱
- ½ tsp. cumin seeds 🌱
- ½ tsp. mustard seeds 🌱
- ¼ tsp. black pepper, freshly cracked 🌱
- ½ medium onion, sliced
- 1 tsp. yellow curry powder 🌱
- ¼ tsp turmeric 🌱
- ¼ tsp sea salt 🌱
- 1 garlic clove, very finely chopped
- Half the cauliflower florets or 150g approx., finely diced
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- Small bunch or 30g fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 50g toasted cashew nuts, roughly chopped 🌱
- Preheat the oven to 160C and line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Trim the outer leaves from the head of cauliflower, cut the cauliflower in half and cut a 1.5cm steak from each half (you will have two steaks in total). Set half the cauliflower florets to one side for the pilaf and save the rest for another recipe.
- Make the tandoori marinade by combining the garlic, ginger, tomato paste, garam masala, coconut yoghurt, maple syrup, salt, oil and smoked paprika in a small bowl and mix well.
- Place the cauliflower steaks on the baking tray and use a pastry brush to coat each side of the cauliflower steak. Bake the cauliflower steaks for 20 minutes, flip the steaks over and turn the heat up to 200C. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- While the cauliflower is in the oven, prepare the pilaf. Rinse the gourmet grain & rice mix in a fine-mesh sieve and then transfer to a medium pot. Add the water to the pot and bring the rice to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cover the pot with a lid. Cook the rice for 15 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed. Gently fluff the cooked rice with a fork.
- Place a large saucepan, with a lid, on the stove top at medium heat. Add the coconut oil, mustard seeds, cumin seeds and black pepper and warm until the mustard seeds start to pop (about 1 minute). To the pan, add the onion, curry powder, turmeric and salt. Saute until the onions are translucent and then add the garlic, cauliflower and carrots. Cook the vegetables for 5 minutes before adding the cooked rice. Stir well to combine, reduce the heat slightly and cover the pan. Cook for another 10 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the chopped coriander and cashew nuts to the rice just before serving and top each portion with a cauliflower steak.